- CONTAINER SPACE WILL GO ON SALE: Wednesday, June 8, 2022
- Sales Link: https://nyccontainer.org/burning-man-2022-container-sale/
- Cost will be $8.50 / Cubic Foot
- Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1050680725570034
- As always, Container space is LIMITED and is being sold on a first come, first served basis
- That said, we DO NOT expect Container space to sell out right away, so no need for y’all to click buy at the exact time sales open and crash the server! ?
- LOAD-IN for the containers is scheduled for Sunday August 7, 2022.
- Read All About Load-in here!
- All space on the NYC Containers is sold in CUBIC feet. See our calculator section for more info
- There are no refunds on purchased space, so measure well
- However, there will be an automated process to transfer space to someone else as in the past
- ALL PURCHASERS will be required to sign a waiver of Liability (link TBA) and provide legal identification upon checking in and loading their things onto the container. The person showing up to Load-In MUST be the person listed under LEGAL NAME OF PURCHASER on the purchasing page.
DATES AND LOCATION for LOAD-IN and LOAD-OUT
Read All About Load-in here!
LOAD-IN for the containers is scheduled for Sunday August 7, 2022 in Jersey City.
Location for LOAD-IN is Liberty Harbor Marina. 15 Marin Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07302. LOAD-IN times will be based on Arrival Dates on playa.
Containers take *about* 10-14 days to get to Playa. We will be updating you as we get updates from our shippers. We expect them to arrive during Build Week, most likely on Tuesday 8/21 but make no guarantees.
LOAD-IN for the RETURN containers from playa to NYC will be available all week and ENDS on Monday September 5, 2022 (Labor Day) at 12pm (noon). More details on this will follow.
Containers will be unloaded on Saturday September 17, 2022 at the same location as load in: All about Load-Out
DON’T EVEN THINK ABOUT PUTTING THE FOLLOWING ON THE CONTAINER:
- ILLEGAL ITEMS. This INCLUDES Cannabis, and any other substances. If it’s illegal anywhere in the US it can’t go on the container. You don’t want to be the reason one of our containers gets pulled off the rail and searched with drug dogs do you?
- ALL ITEMS FLAMMABLE AT HIGH HEAT, OR EVEN THOSE YOU THINK *MIGHT* BE
- GENERATORS UNLESS THEY ARE BRAND NEW AND NEVER HAVE HAD GAS IN THEM – WE WILL CHECK
- EXPLOSIVES, GAS, FUEL, COMPRESSED GAS
- ANYTHING DAMAGED BY EXTREME HEAT (i.e. batteries, uncanned or dry food, etc.)
The containers get very very hot, at times in excess of 120°F. At that level of heat, those items which cannot stand high heat will often explode and ruin everything around them (like batteries) or they can start a fire (like fire flow toys with fuel on them). So, don’t put them in the container.
NYC Container reserves the right to open any and all items loaded on the containers. REMEMBER your stuff is not the only thing on the container, so don’t be irresponsible. If you blow up the container, cause a fire, cause the container to be pulled and searched due to suspicion of illegal substances NO ONES stuff will make it to playa. Don’t be that ass who ruins it for everyone else!
Packing Your Things
Remember: ALL BINS SHOULD BE PACKED FULLY. Hundreds and hundreds of pounds will be stacked on top of your bins. The containers will be moved from train to train, train to truck, etc. Packing your bins tight and full will help protect them. NYC Community Container is not responsible for any damage to your property.
All items must be boxed well, this includes bikes and strangely shaped items. NO metal, wood, etc. should be sticking out of anything. Things will be packed on top of or next to others and we are unable to do so unless items are boxed properly, think TETRIS.
Any item not packed properly will not be allowed on the container and no refund will be provided.
PVC, conduit, wood, etc. MUST be taped or ratchet strapped together securely so they will not fall out of the bundle, roll away, etc.
We HIGHLY recommend the ubiquitous 27 gallon yellow-top bins from Lowe’s: they are cheap ($12-$16 apiece), sturdy enough to survive multiple trips, stack like legos, and they pack just about the right amount of stuff (6 cu. ft.) so you won’t break your back, or the backs on anyone else who might need to move our lift your bins. Home depot has similar-but-not-quite-the-same 27 gallon bins but they switched providers so their bins are now slightly smaller and appear to break more easily. BOTH the Lowes and Home Depot 27 gallons bins COUNT AS 6 CUBIC FEET.
Try and avoid bins that are significantly bigger (9 cu. ft. and up) because unless you’re packing pillows those bins are going to break some backs.
If you have a very large or strangely shaped item you must let us know asap. This means email us at email@example.com
ALL bicycles must be taken apart and put in boxes. You can find bike boxes at most bike stores, unboxed bikes WILL NOT be allowed on the container.
Electric bikes can go on the containers, but their batteries CANNOT! You may be able to bring them on the plane with you in certain cases (check with your airline what Ah or Wh capacity is allowed), or have a friend take them across the country with them if they are driving, or ship them through UPS or a similar service.
YOU MUST LABEL EVERYTHING YOU PUT ON THE CONTAINER WITH YOUR NAME, PHONE NUMBER, EMAIL ADDRESS AND ON PLAYA ADDRESS.
There is no guaranteed arrival date at BRC. Once the container leaves NYC, we have no control. It may show up late, so if you need it to survive, we suggest not packing it on the container. We do our utmost best to keep you up to date on the arrival date of the container on the Playa via the NY Burning Man List and regular emails. We estimate the Containers arriving during the beginning of build week.
On Playa Location
NYC Community Container will be located at Enigma & 5:15 this year.
On Playa Hours
Containers will open in the morning (usually around 10ish) and will be closed by 8pm EVERY NIGHT. It will remain open all day.
AT ALL OTHER TIMES THE CONTAINER WILL BE LOCKED AND INACCESSIBLE. If you have a problem with these hours or cannot commit to picking up your items then, we suggest you ship your items another way. We love you, but our DOers are at Burning Man too!
Container hours are the same for both loading and unloading.
On Playa Loading / Unloading
NYC Community Container will not pack your things for you on the playa. Make sure you are there at the right time and can physically load your things on and off the container. Any items left near the containers or at our camp that are not placed on the containers will be donated, burned, blown up or whatever we feel like.
Do not leave your excess packing materials at our camp or on the containers, we don’t want your moop!!
YOU are responsible for unloading and reloading your things on the Container on the Playa. Make sure that you can lift your stuff on and off the container.
All items reloaded on the container must be packed in boxes, just as it went on. This includes bikes!
You will not be allowed to build a box or fill a box (or unload a box) at the actual container. It must be filled and ready to load in/load out prior to getting on to the container. To that end, with the exception of Big Art working with the Artery for unload, everyone must be able to load and unload their boxes without the assistance of more than 1 other person.
Container Reload for shipping back East.
Container Reload ends Monday September 5, 2022 12pm SHARP. DO NOT BE LATE!
What if I buy too much space?
No worries! There is an automated process (same as in 2019) in case you want to re-sell part or all of your container space to someone else.
Cubic Feet Calculator
CUBIC FEET = LENGTH X WIDTH X HEIGHT
1 CUBIC FOOT = 1728 CUBIC INCHES
Make things easy on yourself by using online calculators (google is your friend).
Dan’s bin is 18 in x 12 in x 20 in.
18 x 12 x 20 = 4,320 cubic inches
4,320 cubic inches = 4,320 / 1728 = 2.5 cubic feet
Dan must purchase 3 cubic feet on the container.